Featuring book reviews primarily in the sci-fi/fantasy, YA, and contemporary fiction genres.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Downburst

  Downburst by Katie Robison

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Blurb from Goodreads: Kit’s only goal is to stay alive. Right now, that means dodging brutal gangs while peddling fake I.D.s on the back streets of Winnipeg. But things get complicated when Kit sells a license to a girl named Aura—a girl who could almost be her twin. Caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, Kit is plunged into an underground society with heart-stopping surprises at every turn. To protect herself, she’s forced to assume Aura’s identity. But storm clouds are gathering on the horizon, and when Kit learns the truth about Aura, she knows she has to get out before the storm breaks. There’s only one problem: escape isn’t an option.

Suddenly, staying alive just got a lot harder.

I read this book in one sitting. It was seriously that good. I doubt I could have put this down if I tried; it caught my attention from the first few pages and the storyline stayed intense until the very end. This book was completely action-packed and full of suspense. 

I love a strong, brave female lead, and Kit definitely delivered. She and the other main characters are very relate-able, despite the magical context. The world built in this book feels fresh and original, and one of my favorite things about it is the Native American mythology entwined throughout.

I will definitely be reading the second book when it comes out, but for now I highly recommend checking out Downburst. A fantastic debut. It's only $2.99 on Kindle right now, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment